Things I Love: Statistics and Literacy

New numbers have been released by the National Center for Education Statistics!

Between 1993 and 2005, the likelihood that children ages 3-5 and not yet in kindergarten are read to daily by a family member has increased by 7%! That is a rise from 53% to 60%, but unfortunately that still leaves 40% of young children in the United States not being read to daily!

And, remember how the NCFL always says that children who have parents that can read are more likely to read themselves? Well lo and behold, the National Center for Education Statistics report agrees. Notice:

Because my sweet Excel graph is somewhat vague, I will tell you the exact numbers:
-41% of children whose mothers have less than a high school diploma were read to daily.
-55% of children whose mothers have a high school diploma were read to daily.
-60% of children whose mothers had some postsecondary education were read to daily.
-72% of children whose mothers had a bachelor’s degree or more were read to daily.

Let’s all take a moment to appreciate that the little ones in our lives look to us as examples. Whether you’re a parent or an aunt or a cousin or a friend, if you want children to value education, they must see every day that you value education for yourself and them.

YAY LITERACY! There are lots more fun numbers to mull over at the original source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>