UPDATE: Book for Like/Follow is still going strong. The info below is all correct except the end date which we do not have right now. We love how much you love this campaign and want to continue to empower you to share and make a difference with one click. Thank you!
Drum roll please…. over the next 30 days, you’re going to see some of the most exciting announcements we’ve ever shared. We admit, 30 days is a long time for a drum roll. So maybe take a breather here and there.
Starting today, July 15th, and running until our super secret surprise on August 15th, for every single new “like” on Facebook or “follow” on Twitter, we will donate a children’s book to a kid in need via Feed the Children.
Visit our Facebook and Twitter pages now to join the fun and make a big difference with just one click! If you’re already a fan, thank you so much! Please share the love to help bring books to kids who need them.
10 MILLION BUCKS
We’re not sure if you’ve noticed, but we have a ticker on the top of our blog, yep right there in the upper right hand corner. We also have one on our homepage. The ticker updates every second with the funds you’ve helped us raise for literacy & libraries with every donation and purchase and with the number of books we have reused or recycled together with you.
If you look closely, you will see that the ticker is getting very close to $10 million raised for literacy and education initiatives at home and around the world. Y’all should be so proud of yourselves for helping us raise such a significant amount of money to to spread imagination and opportunity to truly make this a better world. Thank you!
Here is where some of your purchase money is going:
220 prisoners will receive GED test preparation materials and dictionaries so they can earn a GED and have viable options for work when they are released with the Prison Book Program.
Teaching 65 teachers in 18 rural elementary schools to get 1,876 children reading and writing in their classrooms and put 3,708 books intro circulation in rural Guatemala with Cooperative for Education.
Donated over $362,000 granted to Invisible Children to help educate refugee children and former child soldiers in Northern Uganda.
Donated over $463,000 for Room to Read’s child education programs in Laos and Cambodia.
Contributed more than $1.9 million to college service clubs who have run book drives.
FAQ on “Like to Give”
- Is this worldwide?
- Yes. No matter where you are in the world, your new “like” or “follow” counts towards the books we will donate! If you are in Europe, you may also like to shop www.betterworldbooks.co.uk.
- What if I already “like” and “follow” BWB?
- Thank you! Please share the love and help by engaging your friends, family, neighbors and co-workers to bring books to kids in need by simply liking us too.
- Where do the books come from?
- Our books come from a variety of sources such as public and academic libraries, community and college book drives and individuals who send in their books or drop them in a BWB collection box. Often, we already have more copies of a book than we can sell. When that happens, we will take those books that are in good condition and donate them to children in need.
- Where do the books go?
- We will donate books to those in need through Feed the Children.
- Feed the Children is a large, successful US and International charity. Their mission is to “Provide hope and resources for those without life’s essentials.” In 2010, they distributed 133 million pounds of food and other essentials to children and their families in all 50 states and internationally. Better World Books has helped Feed the Children fill their donation backpacks with over 2 million children’s books and we are excited to expand the efforts. You can learn more about Feed the Children here.
- Will Better World Books still support literacy through cash donations?
- Absolutely! Our contribution of a book for every “like” or “follow” is in addition to the funding we already raise for our non-profit literacy partners with every book sold.
- Don’t you already give away lots of books?
- (July 15-August 15) Yes, we do. Now, we are making a commitment to you, our loyal friends and fans, to donate one book for every single new “like” or “follow” on Facebook and Twitter!